Judo is martial arts of attacking and defending the opponent by using the dynamics of the force, which originated from Japan. It is an official event in the Asian Games and Olympic Games.
- In the 15th year of the Meiji era, "Kano Jigoro" originated Judo at Youngchang temple(えいしょうじ, 永昌寺) located in Inagacho, the northern part of Shimodagu. It was originally started with nine pupils and was named "Kodokan". (The Origin of Modern Judo) After that, Judo became so popular and was developed worldwide that it was adopted as an official event in the 18th Tokyo Summer Olympics in 1964. (The First Official Olympic Event Among Oriental Martial Arts) Judo includes skills to suppress an opponent by using the principles of Kuzushi(崩し, the initial balance break), Tsukuri (作り, the act of turning in and fitting into the throw), Kake (掛け, the execution and completion of the throw). It also includes the techniques like throwing, gripping.
- Japanese Jujutsu is the matrix of Judo. Jiji Kano, the founder of Judo, combined various techniques of Jiujitsu to establish its identity and named it Judo. And then, Judo became an official Olympic sport from the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
- It means “form” of attack-and-defense training with an opponent (a taker called “tori” or a receiver called “uke”) under certain rules. Its literal meanings are "figure, form, appearance" and the meaning “Form expressed outward" is strongly implied within it.
Effect of Kata
- Kata helps you practice attacks and defense, balance the distance between yourself and the opponent and understand Judo as self-defense martial art.
Implied meaning of Kata
- To practice the thought of rumination by tasking all energy in training.
Judo, "gentle way” in literal meaning in Japanese, is modern combat sports that originated from Japan. Its most prominent feature is its competitive element, where the object is to throw an opponent to the ground, to immobilize or otherwise subdue an opponent plyer or to force an opponent to submit by join-locking or a choke.
- Related Organizations
Related Organizations Name Korea Judo Association(KJA) Homepage http://judo.sports.or.kr Manager Seo Myeong Geun - / +82-2-422-0581